Spiritual Sentient Society of Pagan Freemen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiritual Sentient Society of Pagan Freemen

HomeHome  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
*NEWSFLASH* The founder of this forum (Stan Treemam) has sadly died. Please read below >>>
Latest topics
» YOUTUBE ALTERNATIVE
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2022 5:54 am by S T Rawman

» Salutations.
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2022 5:48 am by S T Rawman

» The failure of liberalism
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 4:23 pm by musashi

» Anger is a beautiful thing.
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm by musashi

»  Genocide - Eliminating The English
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am by musashi

» Wisdom of the Idiots: Part 35
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am by musashi

» Wisdom of the Idiots: Part 34
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am by musashi

» Wisdom of the Idiots: Part 33
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am by musashi

» Even Though God had Satan . . . . .
Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 pm by musashi

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 152 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:08 pm
Top posters
musashi
Disturbing Sanity Vote_lcapDisturbing Sanity Voting_barDisturbing Sanity Vote_rcap 
treeman
Disturbing Sanity Vote_lcapDisturbing Sanity Voting_barDisturbing Sanity Vote_rcap 
holy vehm
FreedomProject
Scouse African
high phoenix
anon656
SovereignDruid
enegiss
freeman_reverend

Disturbing Sanity

Go down 
AuthorMessage
musashi

musashi

Disturbing Sanity Empty
PostSubject: Disturbing Sanity   Disturbing Sanity Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 am

I had a moment of very disturbing sanity earlier when I went to post evidence of my rambling madness - under what forum should I put it? I was concerned, which is why it was so disturbing. Is it Eastern? Western? Ancient? Modern? Is it all the above? And I had a moment when I felt like the Irish fella who was shown four shovels and told to take his pick.

By accident of birth I am a man of the west. I am, however, an eclectic - which, by the way, seems to me to be quite in keeping with the ethos of this site. My madnesses include elements of eastern, western, ancient and modern (sounds like a certain hymnbook I've heard of) and some self induced varieties, gleaned from psychology - traditional and modern, western and eastern; anthropology; Taoist and Zen teachings, poetry and prose; Ghaidhlig myth and legend and its prose and poetic wisdom; I borrow from Christian Mystics, Islamic saints, Taoist masters and Zen men such as Benkei the warrior monk and, of course, the wonderful Haiku of Basho. I've even read The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon, for gosh sake, and I know that, when a horse farts on the ferry boat, four or five suffer! What about Rabindranath Tagore and Khalil Gibran? And Moroccan sufis live west of the Bosphorus, but south of the Med'. Ghazali lived in Spain, as did el Arabi and Abu Bakr, not to mention some others. Cornelius Agrippa was a central European - neither east nor west, for fucks sake! And neither modern nor ancient - kind of a while ago but ... you know.

Is there such a thing as ancient wisdom which is not also modern wisdom? Does it have a shelf life? Is east and west not one thing, essentially? Does the accident of birth make Mahmud Shabistari's works an eastern phenomenon because Mercator (sic) drew some straight lines on a map he made for merchants?? And while we are at it, where the hell does east end and west begin? Is it a straight line down through the Bosphorus, or does it squiggle about to take in the foreign devils inhabiting out of the way places who just happen to have a different established religion from the one we suffer with?

There are a number of western philosophers and mystics whose works are, at least in part, entirely dependent on earlier works by eastern thinkers. In fact, some entire schools and movements in the west are modelled directly on their eastern counterparts. Francis of Assissi, for one. Blavatsky's Theosophical society, for another, and Gurdjieff's Institute for the Harmonious Development of Man for a third. There are others. Gurdjieff was a Russian Armenian - so is he east or west? His teachers were from the Levant but he was operating in France! Does that make it slightly eastern? Or a bit western? And Chaucer and Bunyan's epic works are a complete plagiarism of earlier Sufi products -  Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress is a rendition (not extreme) of Rumi's Mantiq ut tair - Parliament of the Birds. What does that make it? Was Christian theology Islamicised, or esoteric Islamic teachings Westernised?

This sanity is killing me! Perhaps I should call upon the Sidhe who ride the winds, or the spirits of the sixties Cult of Ellessdee to assist me in this most difficult of matters. Any help out there? Can we make the four subsets into one big forum?
I tell ya, it aint easy bein' me today!

Musashi
Back to top Go down

Disturbing Sanity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spiritual Sentient Society of Pagan Freemen :: Esoteric :: Western-
Jump to: